Our client, a well know manufacturer of sophisticated electronic products, seeks a Vice President Human Resources to run all HR functions with a special emphasis on compensation, training and recruiting as the company in growing rapidly. These products go into the healthcare, education, hospitality and commercial/industrial market places.
Scope of Responsibilities
Following are some abridged points. Position details follow these abridged points:
- Staffing the company with superior talent is the highest priority.
- Filling key open positions timely is critical.
- Maintaining strategies for employee retention.
- Maintaining an efficient learning center hub and spoke concept to track and maintain all of the training modalities necessary to meet all of the training needs and requirements across the company. This would include employee self-improvement modules.
- Maintain high quality communication practices with company employees.
HR responsibilities include:
- Develop staffing strategies and implementation action plans and programs to identify talent within and outside the corporation for filling key positions. Identify appropriate and effective external sources for candidates for all levels within the company.
- Develops progressive and proactive compensation and benefits programs to provide motivation, incentives and rewards for effective performance and to provide programs which utilize an employee and company partnership for the short and long-range health and welfare protection of the employees.
- Develops programs to allow the corporation to embrace applicants and employees of all backgrounds and to permit the full development and performance of all employees.
- Develops human resource planning models to identify competency, knowledge and talent gaps and develop specific programs for the filling of the gaps. Areas of activity will include talent management through proper succession planning programs for key contributor and management positions, training and development programs for preparing employees for more significant responsibilities and general business development programs to enhance employee knowledge and understanding of the business of the company and the software industry.
- Continually assess the competitiveness of all programs and practices against the relevant comparable companies, industries and markets.
- Establish credibility throughout the organization with management and the employees in order to be an effective listener and problem solver of people issues.
- Develops appropriate policies and programs for effective management of the people resources of the corporation. Included in this area but not limited only to the following would be programs for employee relations, affirmative action, sexual harassment, employee complaints, external education and career development.
- Enhances and/or develop implements and enforces human resources policies and procedures of the organization that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the corporation. In particular, manage the human resource information systems database and necessary reports for critical analyses of the HR function and the people resources of the corporation.
Specific HR Tasks:
- Manage the entire recruiting process, from position definition and requirement through offer and assimilation into the organization.
- Refine the existing process to drive down recruiting costs, improve cycle time, and increase the quality of candidate being interviewed.
- Develop an annual recruiting strategy and implementation plan. Implement the plan as agreed upon with Senior Management. Must be able to adjust recruiting practices to meet demands associated with company growth.
- Employ proactive recruitment methods to source qualified passive candidates for exempt positions, many of which require highly specialized technical skills and experience.
- As needed, work with other parts of the organization to improve their effectiveness in interviewing, selecting and assessing candidates, and to act as a champion for RF Technologies. Also, work with them to understand how to use their own networks to facilitate recruiting.
- Continue effective relationships with colleges for college recruiting and build necessary college relationships to fill gaps in entry level recruiting.
- Continually enhance the use of tools and resources for effective recruiting, including the Internet, in-house applications, associations, etc., and employ proactive to ensure that well-qualified candidates are sourced to meet the talent needs of the organization.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities including interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Develop and maintain compensation programs/plans for the entire Company.
- Develop and maintain human resources policies and procedures that comply with State and Federal laws and are consistent with company philosophy.
- Oversee Surveys and Mandatory Reports (EEOC, VETS 100, etc.)
- Plan, organize, and control all activities of the human resources department involving: employee services, new employee orientation and on-boarding processes, and maintenance of employee records.
- Recommends employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employee-employer relationship and promotes a high level of morale.
- Maintain personnel files, including employee performance issues and PIP plan documentation.
- Participate in developing department goals, objectives and systems and recommend changes as appropriate.
- Ensure company is prepared for all dealings with labor counsel and government agencies including the preparation of all requested or required reporting information.
- Establish and coordinate in-house training programs that address company needs.
- Oversees the content of the Employee Handbook
- Must be able to manage the corporate training hub, working with all functions within the company for developing and delivering the most effective training for internal and external needs.
Experience and Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to understand and relate to each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Manufacturing HR experience with a thorough understanding of large and small company best practices, and prior experience relating with peers at the VP of HR level.
- Over 10 years progressive experience; in a position within a manufacturing organization with a large national customer base gaining knowledge in areas:
- Broad companywide HR experience
- Hands on recruiting experience and understanding current recruiting methodologies.
- Requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree and a technical degree would be a plus.
- Eight to ten years’ experience in human resources in a mid-size manufacturing environment preferred.
- Excellent business communication skills are necessary
- The ability to problem solve a variety of situations simultaneously is required
- Must be able to execute reasoning skills and work well independently
- Strong detail orientation, analytical skills, and computer skills are necessary
- Ability to handle multiple projects and to complete them in a timely manner is essential
- Must be a natural at multitasking
- Must have proven ability to plan and organize effectively
- Must have demonstrated oneself to be trustworthy and capable of maintaining a strict adherence to confidentiality
- Various Certifications is a plus